Your Leander, TX, Uber Accident Lawyers
Have you been injured in a car accident in Leander, TX that involved an Uber driver?
Whether you were injured as a passenger or as the driver or occupant of another vehicle, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your medical expenses, loss of earnings, pain, and suffering, and other damages.
The experienced Leander, TX Uber accident lawyers at Lorenz & Lorenz, PLLC can help you fight to secure a full financial award. Contact our law offices today to speak with our attorneys about your potential case.
Our car accident lawyers are proud to represent accident victims in Travis, Williamson, Bell, and Hays counties, and throughout central Texas. Your first consultation is 100 percent free, so call now.
How Lorenz & Lorenz, PLLC Can Help After an Uber Accident in Leander, TX
At Lorenz & Lorenz, PLLC, we’ve been standing up and fighting on behalf of car accident victims in central Texas for more than 19 years.
When you ask our Leander, TX personal injury lawyers for help with your Uber accident case:
- We can review the accident report and determine the party or parties that may be liable for your injuries or loved one’s wrongful death
- We can determine damages available and help you maximize the value of your claim
- We can prevent insurance companies from denying or delaying your claim, as a deliberate tactic to get you desperate enough to accept a lowball settlement
- We can defend attempts by the insurance company or other parties to blame you for your injuries.
Don’t let insurance companies push you around. Get our skilled legal team in your corner and increase the odds of getting the money you deserve. Call our Austin, TX law office to arrange a free consultation now.
Why It’s Important to Hire an Attorney After an Uber Accident in Leander, TX
Uber is a self-proclaimed technology platform and not a transportation company. This distinction is made to shield themselves from liability for their “micro-entrepreneur” drivers, who are independent contractors. As a technology platform, Uber is not subject to the laws that cover taxi services or transportation companies.
If you are a passenger in an Uber that is involved in a crash, Uber has insurance coverage which covers you for up to $1 million in damages for your injury. This coverage will only apply if Uber’s driver is at fault, or the other driver is at fault and has insufficient bodily injury coverage available. A lawyer can help you ensure you receive compensation that you are entitled to, whether you were injured in a Texas car accident, motorcycle accident, trucking accident, pedestrian accident, or cycling accident involving an Uber driver.
Insurance companies are not in the business of offering insurance policy payouts for every accident. Even if you have very real, very expensive injuries and insurance coverage is available, you still will have to make a claim and argument to the insurance company. Uber will likely deny liability, placing the burden of proof on you to file suit against the at-fault driver. In order to get them to pay you a fair settlement, you will have to make the argument that you would win a case at trial.
Causes of Leander Uber Accidents
There is an average of 3.1 million Uber trips each day in the United States. The vast majority of these trips operate safely, with no incident. Out of 1.3 billion trips in the U.S. in 2018, there were nine people murdered, and 58 people died in crashes during Uber rides in the United States. Uber does not provide statistics about injuries in crashes – their safety report does not mention non-fatal accidents.
Many accidents resulting in injury are due to negligence or recklessness of an Uber driver and are 100% preventable. You might have a claim against the driver, Uber, or other third parties, depending on how the auto accident occurred. Leading causes of Uber accidents are:
Inattention / Distracted Driving
Uber drivers are often distracted by their conversations and interactions with their passengers. They may be in unfamiliar areas of town, and not familiar with speed limits, crosswalks, and traffic signals.
Uber drivers sometimes miss turns or make wrong turns, and as a trip is rerouted and delayed, they may speed up to make up the time. Extreme speeding is uncommon, as exceeding the speed limit is one-way drivers can be deactivated by Uber. However, even driving within the speed limit can be dangerous in unfamiliar areas, or when weather conditions are harsh.
Drunk Driving or Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
Uber is a solution to drunk driving, and accidents involving drunk drivers are rare. However, they do occur. In 2019, an Uber driver who picked up passengers from a Texas bar was arrested for drunk driving. Uber has a strict zero-tolerance policy for drunk driving and advises passengers to end the trip immediately if a drunk driver is suspected.
Failure to Maintain a Vehicle
Uber vehicles spend a lot of time on the road. If the driver fails to maintain the braking system, tires, or other systems, accidents can occur, causing loss of vehicle control, which can lead to serious injuries.
Following another vehicle too closely puts drivers at risk for rear-end car accidents. Rear-end accidents are common when traffic comes to a sudden halt. Whiplash injuries are common injuries resulting from rear-end accidents.
Unsafe Lane Changes
An uber driver may make an aggressive driving maneuver if they miss their turn, or a passenger calls out “turn right there.” Uber drivers have the responsibility to operate safely and not be distracted by GPS directions or passengers.
Many Uber drivers drive for Uber after working a full day of work at a 9-5 job. There have been many instances around the world of rideshare drivers falling asleep at the wheel. In April 2019, a woman in Austin claimed her Lyft driver was nodding off while driving her home.
While Uber is extremely convenient, it is not always safe. Accidents involving rideshare vehicles occur every day. If the negligence of another driver is the cause of your injuries, you may receive compensation for medical expenses, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
Getting Compensation After Your Leander Uber Accident
Car accidents are unfamiliar and stressful events, and Uber accident victims may be unsure of what to do following an accident. Uber is a business and provides insurance policies to protect themselves. They have legal counsel to divert liability back to independent contractors, as well as minimize payouts they must make. As a passenger, you need to protect your legal rights to maximize your insurance claim. We recommend you follow these steps following an accident:
- Document the accident: Get to a safe spot off the road and call 911 to report the accident. Police will come and take a report, which will be referenced later if you pursue a personal injury lawsuit. Note names of parties, crash location and time, license plate and insurance policy information of cars involved, and driver names and addresses. If you have a phone, take pictures of the accident scene and damaged vehicles.
- Get medical attention: If you suffered any injury, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible following an accident. Securing a personal injury settlement will require you to prove you suffered an injury, and visiting an emergency room or doctor is an important part of documenting a claim.
- Report the accident: If you were injured as a passenger, you can report an accident through the app. If you were injured as a third party, you can call Uber’s emergency contact phone number at 800-593-5994. Provide only the basic details. Do not speculate on fault or provide a recorded statement.
- Stay off social media: Do not post information about an accident on Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter etc. Even something as harmless as replying to family member’s “are you okay?” question that you are “shaken but okay,” may be brought up later as a basis to downplay your injuries and pay you as little as possible. Attorneys recommend that you completely stay off social media during the course of personal injury litigation.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: One of the biggest ways you can protect your rights following an accident is to retain an experienced and knowledgeable personal injury lawyer experienced in rideshare accidents. A Leander, TX Uber accident lawyer at Lorenz & Lorenz, PLLC, can help you ensure you receive maximum compensation for your personal injury claim.
Never accept an immediate settlement offer from an insurance company. An initial offer is generally a low amount that the insurance company is betting is just high enough for you to accept. You may be entitled to far more compensation than is initially offered. A lawyer can review an offer and advise you if it is fair.
What Damages Can I Get After an Uber Accident in Leander, Texas?
Uber accident victims may pursue a claim for injuries following an injury accident. A personal injury claim against an Uber driver can compensate a personal injury claim for the following damages:
- Medical care expenses and future medical bills
- Lost wages from being unable to work
- Loss of earning capacity to earn future wages
- Decreased quality of life
- Pain and suffering.
Depending on the specific facts of the accident, Uber may or may not be a party to the lawsuit. Recovering compensation from Uber or the at-fault driver is not automatic. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and negotiate a fair settlement. Before you accept any compensation offer for your injuries or a loved one’s wrongful death, contact the Leander, TX personal injury lawyers at Lorenz & Lorenz, PLLC.
When Do I Have to File an Uber Accident Claim?
Texas has a two-year statute of limitations for car accidents, under Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code section 16.003. After the two-year period, any personal injury lawsuits will be rejected by the court. After an accident, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible, while witness recollections are fresh and important evidence can be preserved. To give our clients the best advantage to access resources and guidance, Leander, TX personal injury lawyers at Lorenz & Lorenz are available 24/7 to take your call.
Get a Free Consultation With a Leander, TX Uber Accident Attorney
Lorenz & Lorenz, PLLC was one of the first law firms to represent Uber accident victims in Texas. Following a catastrophic accident, our lawyers fight to recover the maximum compensation available for our clients. We are well-versed in the liability and coverage issues unique to rideshare accidents. To speak with a lawyer about your potential case, call us at 800-835-5833.